Welcome! Be sure to visit the NABC website as well.

Ted Settles In, Dexter Still on the Move - UPDATE November 13, 2021

Ted recoveringTed recoveringLast night, around midnight, we left Ted resting and recovering in his travel cage while many of us continued to watch the scene on Ted’s camera. Some time after 4 AM, he managed to move out, but he was unable to stand. Still under the influence of his anesthesia, he remained between the cage and his chalet and was still in the same spot in mid morning when seven of us arrived to remove the travel cage. As we moved about, he lay quietly, sometimes rolling a bit as if trying to get up. Then he showed how mentally alert he was. When Sharon and I spoke to him, he immediately raised his head and focused on the familiar voices long enough to snap a picture. Then he again tried to get up.

Ted still in cage at 12:46amTed still in cage at 12:46am Ted in chalet later in the afternoonTed in chalet by 3:30pm

In early afternoon, I stopped by again. He wanted to get up but couldn’t. It seemed the anesthesia drugs were hanging on too long despite administration of a reversal drug. The medical team went into action with an additional shot. Within a half hour, Ted was up, moving into his chalet, and arranging the straw to his liking. He was settling in to his familiar home. He relaxed and rested the rest of the day, making everyone feel relieved that he was back to normal behavior. Tonight, we, too, will sleep well, thankful that Ted is getting good care from Sharon and the Bear Center staff and from his medical team. Local veterinarian Kristin McCarty and her husband Sean had two nearly sleepless nights transporting and attending to his every need after his 6 hours of surgery. More information on that is coming soon.

Dexter walking onto scaleDexter walking onto scale Dexter on scaleDexter on scale

At the Wildlife Research Institute, yearling male Dexter made another visit this evening at 7:25 PM despite falling snow, moving onto the scale to reveal his weight of 201 pounds. The last of the other bears that have been visiting other feeders disappeared at 12:15 AM on November 9. With Dexter visiting this evening, he has only five more days to go to tie Quill’s record of November 18. I tried back-tracking Dexter this afternoon to see if he had a den nearby, but it was getting dark when I lost his trail on a snowless stretch of a dirt road. We’ll see what we can discover tomorrow.

I’m also looking forward to seeing how much Ted perks up tomorrow.

Thank you for all you do.
Lynn Rogers, Biologist, Wildlife Research Institute and North American Bear Center

Share this update:

Our Mailing Lists

Contact Information

Wildlife Research Institute
145 West Conan Street
Ely, Minnesota 55731 USA

Email Address
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

We Proudly Support

Ely, Minnesota

Copyright © The Wildlife Research Institute | All rights reserved